This week, the ESL writing class has several specific composition objectives.
- Learn the six parts of good writing. They are called Six Writing Traits.
- Practice rewriting a short passage with a better description and better voice.
- Write a short story with a great description and a strong voice.
- Write a story that shows us an emotion but does not tell us the emotion.
SIX WRITING TRAITS
IDEA: a clear message. Good writing shows, it does not tell. Include bits of information often forgotten. Stimulating, interesting, surprising content.
ORGANISATION: The structure of the writing. Is it compare and contrast, point by point analysis, chronological? There is a beginning and an end.
VOICE: We can see there is a person writing to us, not a template. There is feeling, humor, personality. [click to continue…]
A nice video that can be used as an ESL conversation piece or a writing prompt.
ECIRAVA from Daisuke Kaneko on Vimeo.
It’s the first week of a new semester and the students are (I imagine) happy to be back at school.
For the writing students, here is the syllabus for our class.
LEARN MANY WORDS
Here is a quick learning exercise that will my students very important.
Look at the words and pictures on this vocabulary worksheet. Your job: learn these [click to continue…]
This is the last week of our advanced ESL conversation class. Let’s quickly review the class objectives contained in syllabus.
The objectives were:
- expand vocabulary by developing a working knowledge of at least 300 new words
- improve fluency through regular pair work practice
- elevate ability to understand complex issues [click to continue…]
This is the last week of classes for the semester. Let’s do a quick review by starting with the objectives of the class.
FROM THE SYLLABUS
- improve fluency through regular practice and speaking drills [click to continue…]