This is the first lesson of the Paraphrase Writing e-course. This is a six-part series that teaches English students paraphrase writing. If you want to learn more about why you need to learn paraphrase writing, click here.
In this exercise you will learn one paraphrasing skill: using synonyms to rewrite sentences. Here is an example.
Photo by Pseudo Victor
More than half of the women who attended the one-day meeting were in business with their spouses.
Some of the words are underlined. Use a dictionary or thesaurus to find synonyms for these words and phrases. Now rewrite this sentence with these new words and phrases.
Here is one possible answer.
The majority of the women who went to the one-day conference were in business with their husbands.
Paraphrase Writing Questions
Here are the questions for this lesson. If you want, download the writing worksheets with the questions and answers here.
- Approximately 30,000 students may be assisted by the proposed “free lunch” program.
- With the development of flash memory cards, the market for portable music players jumped sharply.
- Although the coach’s strategy was a little dangerous, the team was successful.
- Therefore, the effect was an increase in student examination results.
- In addition, a strong typhoon is expected to batter the coast over the next few days.
- The expenditure needed to combat climate change will require changes to the federal government’s budget.
- The engineer must judge how much dynamite to use according to the volume of material to be removed from the tunnel.
- Two of the students were expelled for violating the school’s “no fighting” policy.
Download the Writing Worksheets
Click here to download the worksheet for this lesson.
Good luck. Write some of your answers in the comments section so everyone can read your writing.