This ESL conversation activity helps students learn English speaking skills by retelling a story. Memorization is a small part of this task, but more importantly, students need to be able to retell the key parts and fill in the details with their own words.
- Focus: learn English by retelling stories
- Time: 20 minutes
- Level: intermediate and up
- It’s a pair work activity. Each student gets one copy of one story.
- Each student reads a scary story. That takes about 10 minutes.
- The student then retells his or her story, making sure to keep the scary parts. The purpose is not to memorize the story but instead to remember the key details – plot character, setting – and mix with his or her own words. And, scare the other person.
Story A: The Death Car
Story A: The White Dress
The image in this post comes from Courtney Rhodes and its use complies with the owner’s creative commons licensing terms.