It’s the last week of lessons for the ESL speaking class. It’s time to celebrate with a sweet snack.
ESL Speaking Hour 1
Pair Work Warm Up (15)
Choose one of the boxes on the vocabulary worksheet.
- Ask your partner to say the answers.
- Ask follow up questions.
- Go quickly. Each box should take about 4-5 minutes.
- Partner chooses another box.
- Week 14 Dec 3 to 7: Last week week of official classes.
- Weeks 15 (Dec 10 to 13): final exam speaking tests
- Week 16 (Dec 17 to Dec 20): final exam speaking tests
Each student needs to sign up for a speaking test time.
Return Book Report (5)
Here is book report #2 with a few comments.
Syllabus Review (5)
Let’s look at the syllabus. Did we do what was promised?
Speed Game (15)
Give hints. Score points. Get a sweet prize.
Collocations and Symmetry (20)
This video lesson helps builds vocabulary bay understanding how pairs of words are connected.
Here is the word list of possible answers.
ESL Speaking Hour 2
Here is a description of the final exam questions.
Final Exam (20)
- speaking test 20% of final score
- check your ability to speak fluently and accurately
- check your understanding of vocabulary
- about 7-9 minutes per person
Question 1 (2-3 minutes)
- Talk about the book you read (book #2).
- Summarize book in 60 seconds – talk about character, plot and setting.
- Describe the message you think the book is trying to teach. Do you agree or disagree?
- You will get a few questions.
Question 2 (1 minute)
- vocabulary comprehension
- I say 5-8 words or phrases
- you give a FAST definition
- words from a random list
The words will come from several sources:
- 80 words from quiz #1 and #2
- all the words from the cross word puzzle worksheet from week 13
- this phrase from this vocabulary worksheet
- and from this worksheet
Question 3 (2-3 minutes)
You read a short story about an invention. Summarize the short story you read:
You speak for 60 seconds about story.
- Summarize the story: what happened, how was the invention made.
- How did the invention change history? Give specific reasons and examples.
- Expect a few questions.
Question 4 (2-3 minutes)
This questions tests your fluency, pronunciation, accuracy and vocabulary. You must speak for 90 seconds without stopping.
The questions are easy. The answers are tough.
By the way, if you can’t speak for 90 seconds about a simple topic after studying English for 2 semesters … well, something’s not right.
Here is the scoring guide:
- 5/5 speak for 90 seconds with great fluency, pronunciation, interesting vocabulary and speed (doesn’t need to be perfect)
- 3/5 speak for 90 seconds but fluency, pronunciation, vocabulary are not so great and it’s slow
- 0/5 less than 90 seconds
1 Tell me about your hometown.
- What kind of place is it?
- What’s the most interesting part?
- What kind of jobs do the people have?
- Is it a good place to live? Why or why not?
2 What do you like to do in your free time?
- What activities do you like to do in your free time?
- How long have you been interested in these activities?
- Do you like to do theses activities alone or with other people? (Why)?
- Do you think people have enough free time?
3 What kind of food do you enjoy?
- Do you enjoy cooking?
- What kind of food can you cook?
- What kinds of food are popular in your country?
- Do you prefer eating with people or alone?
ESL Speaking Hour 3
Trivia Game (20)
Let’s play a game. The winners get a sweet prize.
Another A to Z Word List (5)
- Read the clues on the vocabulary worksheet and say the answer.
Speed game tool.