LEARN ENGLISH WRITING SKILLS
To help ESL students learn English writing skills and prepare for the end of the semester, here is the plan for this week
- finish re-writing Seconds and change stories
- check answers for chapter 5 and 6 in the textbook
- write a new story that describes a place
- complete quiz #2
Writing Task: Describe a Place
At the beginning of the semester, each ESL student write a short story about a place. The purpose of that exercise was to show each student his or her writing level. Now it is time to write another descriptive story of a place. This story will show us if the student’s writing improved or not.
Here is the process.
- Read the short story about a subway in this worksheet.
- Look closely at the verbs the writer uses to help us understand the place.
- This is a good example of an old writing rule: don’t tell me about the subway, show me the subway with words.
- Now you pick a place. Any place and describe it.
- Now it’s your turn to write. You will write a one paragraph story.
More Articles Practice
Read the sentences. Add a/an/the or nothing. Get the answers here.
- _____ Second World war ended in 1945.
- Do you know _____ people who live next door.
- Are you interested in _____ art or _____
- Don’t stay in that hotel. _____ beds are very uncomfortable.
- I hate _____
- Two of _____ biggest problems facing our society are _____ crime and _____
- What time do your children finish _____ school?
- On _____ way to London we passed through _____ small village with _____ old church. We stopped to visit _____ It was _____ beautiful building.
- Although _____ accommodation in Paris is quite expensive, I found _____ cheap hotel in _____ city centre.
- _____ Good Fast Food Competition aims to prove that _____ fast food doesn’t need to be made with _____ unhealthy ingredients.
- Do you know any shops that sell _____ clothes for _____ teenagers? – “Yes, there’s _____ place called young style on _____ other side of _____ town.
- People say _____ Costume Museum is quite boring, but I’ve got _____ friend who went there and says it’s brilliant.
- I went to _____ fashion show in _____ town centre yesterday. _____ models were really good-looking but _____ clothes were _____ bit boring.
- When my son starts _____ school, he’ll have _____ lunch every day in _____ canteen. I hope he likes _____ food.
- _____ tracksuit he bought yesterday was _____ wrong size.
- He had to go to _____ hospital for _____ check-up.
- Is there _____ cheap hotel near here?
- He left _____ home without informing anyone.
The image in this post comes from Paolo Margari and its use complies with the owner’s creative commons licensing terms.