These test questions will help my ESL students learn English and prepare for the final exam. The exam will contain four parts to assess elements of fluency and language learning:
- critical thinking and persuasion
- cohesive story telling
- recall of vocabulary
- effective descriptions by making clear distinctions
Part 1 Agree or Disagree? (2-4 minutes)
Each student will be given one of these random quotes. The task will be to:
- define the meaning of the quote
- state clearly if you agree or disagree
- explain why with reasons and evidence
Respond to one of these quotes.
- “To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all.” – Oscar Wilde
- “Life isn’t about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.” – George Bernard Shaw
- “To be happy, we must not be too concerned with others.” – Albert Camus
- “It may be unfair, but what happens in a few days, sometimes even a single day, can change the course of a whole lifetime…” Khaled Hosseini, The Kite Runner
- “Everything people did seemed so silly, because they only died in the end.”- Sylvia Plath
Part 2 Conversation (1 minute)
Talk for 60 seconds (no hesitations) and tell me about:
- a book
- a movie
- a TV show
- a news story
- your future
Part 3 Vocabulary (1 minute)
One of the objectives of this English class was to help students learn 300 new words. Let’s check that. You may have 2-3 of these questions.
- Pairs of homophones
- Things in space
- Korean side dishes
- Food in a can
- Words that start with CON
- Kinds of punctuation
- Cooking verbs
- Dairy products
- Asian capital cities
Part 4 Quick Explanations (1 minute)
Describe, with as much detail as possible, the how the two things in each question are similar and different. You may have one or two of these questions.
- Nachos and chocolate chip cookies.
- Stir fry and fry.
- Scramble eggs and mashed potatoes.
- Pickled onions and boiled rice.
- Change your mind and make up your mind.
- I didn’t eat enough and I’m too full.
- Grilled chicken and baked chicken.
- Bottle of jam and jar of jam.
- Tube of red pepper paste and tub of red pepper paste.
- I used to ride a bike and I rode a bike.
ENT106-4 Wednesday June 17
- 12-1pm teacher’s office
- 1-3pm classroom in room D222 (regular Wednesday class room and time)
ENG 126-9 Friday June 19
- 12-1pm classroom (D222)
- 1-3pm teacher’s office
The image in this post comes from Luca Rossato and its use complies with the owner’s creative commons licensing terms.