Work Plan – Week 1
Welcome to the ESL writing class. Here is the plan for this week.
- understand the benefits and expected outcomes of this course by looking at the syllabus
- improve your ability to express meaning with new vocabulary
- refresh your English writing skills with a few basic writing tools
- foster your ability to notice details with some error correction exercises and more editing
- activate higher order thinking by writing a summary of a video
- begin the learning process by writing a story about a place
- dive into learning with a 15 minute writing exercise
Short ESL Writing Exercise
Here is your first writing exercise. This ESL writing activity will show me your ability to clearly describe and separate different events. You have a total of 15 minutes to write a first draft. Spend a few minutes thinking about what you will write about. Be sure to include as many details as possible.
- Write a short story in which all the action (at least 3 different events) occurs in different places and at different times.
- Skill: accurately describe events with different verb tenses.
Writing about a Place
This worksheet has one paragraph. It describes a trip around one place.
Read the story. How does the writer use verbs to activate our senses? To evoke a sense of the place? It is a good example of an old writing rule: don’t tell me, show me.
Write a one paragraph story.
- Choose a place which has many different senses.
- Brainstorm a list of verbs, nouns and adjectives.
- Start writing one paragraph.
- Read, edit and rewrite.