Learn English Writing
What did we do last week?
- reviewed basic articles and completed some practice questions
- practiced sentence writing by using articles correctly and avoiding dull text by using synonyms for verbs (goat, wolf and cabbage puzzle)
- started feedback on first drafts
What did you write so far in the writing class?
– Creative story based on a picture prompt; focus on first sentence, voice, idea and organisation.
– Mini saga: focus on idea, voice, organisation, precise word choice.
– Man with a boat: focus on articles and word choice.
– definite and indefinite articles
– good first sentences
– write faster with fluency activities (timed repeated writing)
– improve understanding of sentences with punctuation activities
New Writing Assignment
Write the first draft for writing assignment #4. It’s a story about a boy who goes on a trip. The purpose is to improve idea, organisation, the first sentence, word choice, and conventions.
The exercise has a second purpose. I want students to learn and practice writing complex sentences.
Here is the picture prompt for this exercise.
Rewriting the First Draft
You now have three different pieces of writing. Most of them are a first draft. This week, we will spend 1 to 2 hours just rewriting your previous work.
Nothing to do?
Students who finish early might want to complete these exercises in order to review material we studied before.
Add punctuation to a text about the history of coffee.
Do some more practice questions with the proper use of articles. Try stories 4 and 5 first.