ESL Conversation Lessons
It’s week 2 for the intermediate English conversation class, spring 2017.
- quick review of the syllabus for new students
- book report title
- English speaking activities
- review verb tenses
- seating arrangements
ESL Conversation Activities
Hour 1 Units 1a and 1b
Page 2 (20 min)
- Talk about someone. Tell your partner about a person he/she should get to know, and why.
- Read story about Melida.
- Track 2 listening
- Shadow listening to story.
- With partner, describe how you are the same and different.
Verb Tenses (10 min)
Here is a quick review of some verb tenses that you will need to know for this exercise and a few others coming up in the book.
Page 3 – 2A grammar (15 min)
- Track 3
- fill in blanks
- pair work ask partner these questions.
Page 3 Speaking Naturally (15 min)
- Track 4
- listen and repeat
- notice sound change for auxiliary verbs
- discussion ask partner questions from page 2 box, try for reduced sounds
What’s an auxiliary verb?
- auxiliary means extra or help
- auxiliary verb means one verb that helps another verb
- main auxiliary verbs: do, be have
Page 4 – 1A (15 min)
- Track 5
- listening for different verb forms
- listen to Dan’s story – no book
- listen again with the book
- read text no listening, highlight unknown words
- check dictionary, make word list in notebook
Page 4 – 1B and 1C (15 min)
- fill in boxes
- three kinds of verbs
- see the patterns?
- choose 1 or 2 verbs from each and write full sentences in your notebook.
Page 4 – 2a, 2b and 3 (20 min)
- read box
- fill in blanks
- check answers
- Talk About It – pair work conversation
Book report project
- collect student names and book titles
- alphabet list building
- pair work practice: picture prompts and verb tenses
- preposition maze and Q&A (10)
- watch and listen to this online lesson about particles and prepositions