It’s week 5 of the semester. Time for another holiday.
Let’s work on a couple of writing skills to fix a few common errors. I often see these errors in student writing.
No Paragraphs – what is a paragraph?
- change idea
- end of someone speaking
- web writing – lots of white space and short paragraphs
4 Kinds of Sentences
Verb Tense (40)
In the first draft, it is easy and normal to make basic grammar mistakes. For example, changing the verb tense. This is a problem because it is hard for the reader to understand the flow of the story – is it now or in the past? The same mistake can make your business email message also hard to understand.
Click here to read the lesson plan for this task.
4 Kinds of Sentences (45)
This long activity asks students to review 4 kinds of sentence patterns.
- a simple sentences
- a compound sentence
- a complex sentence
- an appositive
Then students will watch a video and complete a guided writing activity by writing a summary with just these 4 kind so sentences.
Click here to read about the writing activity in detail.
This is a free writing period.
Students can choose what the want to do. Students may:
- re-write story #1 (creative story based on a picture)
- rewrite story #2 (show me in the cafe)
- complete story #3 from week 4 (hero’s journey)
- finish the guided writing activity described in Hour 2
- completed the editing exercise from last week (click here to read the questions on a MS Word file and see the answers).