This is week 10 of the graduate school writing class.
ESL Writing Class
Attendance and review (5)
- introduced writing and oral presentation project – moral dilemma
- created schedule for speaking times
- inquiry method of thinking and writing
- two writing assignments
- some feedback on past writing
- A collection of articles looking at different aspects of inquiry based learning (British spelling enquiry)
- Summary research findings about the benefits of an inquiry approach
- George Hillocks Jr on why some teaching approaches are better than others
Moral dilemma resources
- a 16 page analysis of the captain’s moral choices in the Sewol ferry disaster (pages 4-12)
- 101 Ethical Dilemmas – skim the book, there are suggested answers in the back
Presentation about Inquiry Method of Learning (20)
Writing Assignment 1: Murder Scene (30)
- Queenie and her husband Arthur.
- Yesterday, they had an argument. She left the house and met friends in a bar. Arthur went to a different bar.
- She said she left the bar about 1am and asked her friends to come to her house for a drink.
- She said she arrived home at 1:30 am. Her friends got to her house about 10 minutes later, about 1:40 am.
- When the friends arrived, she opened the door and looked shocked. She said something bad happened.
- Her husband fell on the stairs. He was coming down for another drink—he still had the glass in his hand.
- She called the police.
- The police report said he died from a head injury and he was drunk when he died.
Do you believe here?
- Probable Conclusion/Argument
Writing Assignment 2: Death for Dinner (20)
- Here is a restaurant crime scene.
- Early this evening, the police heard a gunshot inside Ernie’s restaurant.
- The police found the dead body of body of a famous gangster.
- Ernie, the owner and only employee, said: “The murderer leaned against the wall while firing his gun. There is a hand print on the wall.
- The last number on the cash register was $8.75.
Who killed the guy?
Writing Assignment 3: Live Small (30)
Click here get the writing lesson:
- watch a short video
- answer the questions