This is week 13 of the graduate school writing class.
ESL Writing Class
Attendance and review (5)
- what is a hypothesis
- abductive reasoning
- create an argument from a hypothesis
- write an assignment that summarizes a hypothesis and evaluates the argument
Writing Assignments Post- Midterm Exam
- analysis and evaluation of the electric car TV advertisement – argument and warrants
- murder mystery – inquiry method
- health and wealth – summary and analysis, build an argument from a hypothesis
- less is more – summary and analysis, build an argument from a hypothesis
- Week 13: May 23 – class (last day to hand in writing for feedback, finish before and after writing assignment, quiz #2)
- Week 14: May 30 – class (8 presentations, return before and after assignments)
- Week 15: June 6 – no class (holiday)
- Week 16: June 13 – last regular class of the semester (7 presentations, exam review, return final student writing)
- Week 17: June 20 – final exam
Moral Dilemma Assignment
- Week 14: May 30 – 8 presentations
- Week 16: June 13 – 7 presentations
Schedule for Today
- comments on last writing – living small (15)
- complete a short summary writing exercise about Twitter (30)
- free time to work on oral presentation or last rewrite (20)
- complete before and after exercise (30)
- quiz #2 (20)
What is a Summary?
A summary has several important features:
- it’s short
- focus on main idea
- gives important information (e.g. examples) that makes the main idea easy to understand
- excludes unnecessary data
- mostly uses your own words
One final point.
A summary is not just a bunch of sentences put together in a paragraph. It should be well written with a beginning, middle and end. A well written summary is a story about a story.
General Comments on Last Writing
I read everything that was handed in last week. Here are a few comments and observations about the living small report.