ESL Writing Class
This is fifth week for graduate students’ writing class.
Work Plan – Week 5
- rewrite #1 – finish Room 8
- rewrite #2 – finish the creative story (from a picture prompt and first sentence exercise)
- rewrite #3 – rewrite short story by adding lots of information
- rewrite #4 – improve paragraph structure (story with 4 elements)
- write #5– articles, word choice and cohesion (new activity this week)
- extra resources
- story analysis
ESL Writing Activities
Attendance and review (5)
Extra Resources (5)
Listening to a stories
- Missed Connection, a short story to work on your storytelling and details
- Here is the script for the story.
- Serial, a popular audio serialized story
ESL Class Homework for Next Week (5)
- Read a short story by O. Henry called After 20 Years
- Analyze the text according to the 6+1 writing traits.
- Discuss comments about the story next week.
Can’t remember all of the traits?
- Here is a quick summary: 6+1 writing traits.
Text analysis (10)
- Comments on the story which I assigned as homework last week
- What can we learn from this text?
- Can you see any elements of the 6+1 writing traits in this story?
Feedback and writing (20)
Hour 2 -3
Opportunities for Improvement (20)
- #1 – first sentence
- #2 – better paragraphs
- #3 – more details
- #4 – articles and word choices
- Students are not sure about the proper use of articles
- Students need to be more proactive with word variety
That’s the easy part.
Next, write a short story that describes all of the actions. Do not leave out any steps. Be sure to use definite and indefinite articles correctly.
That’s a little easy.
Finally, use a different verb for each action. Do not repeat verbs.
That’s the hard part. You will probably want to use a thesaurus for this step. Please use words familiar to you and avoid impossibly difficult synonyms.