Learn English Writing, 12
This is the plan to help ESL students learn English writing:
- improve vocabulary and reading comprehension by paraphrasing quotes;
- prepare for the quiz by reviewing study material (week 13);
- complete rewrites of compare and contrast story (coke video);
- rewrite blind folded people story;
- rewrite email;
- rewrite lost at sea (throw away 60 kg) story;
Quiz #2 Review Material
Section 1 Email
Write an email message to a hotel that asks four specific questions. Your written message should look like a properly formatted email message.
Section 2 Three Sentences
You will look at a picture prompt and write three kinds of sentences:
- a sentence with a prepositional phrase;
- an appositive;
- a complex sentence (a sentence with a dependent and independent clause).
Section 3 Articles
Read the sentences. Add a/an/the or nothing. Get the answers here.
- _____ Second World war ended in 1945.
- Do you know _____ people who live next door.
- Are you interested in _____ art or _____
- Don’t stay in that hotel. _____ beds are very uncomfortable.
- I hate _____
- Two of _____ biggest problems facing our society are _____ crime and _____
- What time do your children finish _____ school?
- On _____ way to London we passed through _____ small village with _____ old church. We stopped to visit _____ It was _____ beautiful building.
- Although _____ accommodation in Paris is quite expensive, I found _____ cheap hotel in _____ city centre.
- _____ Good Fast Food Competition aims to prove that _____ fast food doesn’t need to be made with _____ unhealthy ingredients.
- Do you know any shops that sell _____ clothes for _____ teenagers? – “Yes, there’s _____ place called young style on _____ other side of _____ town.
- People say _____ Costume Museum is quite boring, but I’ve got _____ friend who went there and says it’s brilliant.
- I went to _____ fashion show in _____ town centre yesterday. _____ models were really good-looking but _____ clothes were _____ bit boring.
- When my son starts _____ school, he’ll have _____ lunch every day in _____ canteen. I hope he likes _____ food.
- _____ tracksuit he bought yesterday was _____ wrong size.
- He had to go to _____ hospital for _____ check-up.
- Is there _____ cheap hotel near here?
- He left _____ home without informing anyone.
The image in this post comes from Henadz Freshphoto.ru and its use complies with the owner’s creative commons licensing terms.