This mixed skills activity helps ESL students learn English summary writing.
Short Story Summary
learn to write a summary of a short text
about 20-40 minutes to complete a first draft
Divide class into pairs. Half the students get Story A. The other half get Story B. Provide students with these instructions.
- You and your partner read a short text. Work together.
- What is the text mostly about?
- Write down some key words and phrases. Are some words/phrases repeated?
- What are the main supporting ideas?
- Write a one paragraph summary. Try to avoid unnecessary details.
- Find a new partner with a different story.
- Read your summary aloud.
- The new partner will ask questions.
- Ask yourself: is my summary good enough?
- Rewrite the summary and hand in to the teachers for review and feedback.
If you like these ideas and want detailed worksheets and lesson ideas for your classroom, buy the ebook Teach Essential Writing Skills. Transform the quality of EFL student writing by focusing on four essential skills. Click here for details about the ebook that should be part of every writing teacher’s resource library.
Save time. Teach well.
Cut your lesson prep time with this 240-page collection of ESL resources that stimulate language learning and critical thinking: awesome pair work speaking activities, logic puzzles, trivia, word games and much more. Simplify your lesson planning because teaching should be a joy, not a chore.