Welcome back to the Business English Negotiation Class. Can you the remember the key points from the previous negotiation lesson?
- Is there one standard for FAIRNESS? Explain.
- How can FAIRNESS can be used to your advantage in a negotiation?
- How can you block FAIRNESS when someone uses it against you?
- What did you learn in the last role play negotiation exercise (toaster)?
Key Term Mini Lecture (10)
- Positions versus interests.
Reading Exercise – Analyze and Solve (10)
You are going to read a short story that involves a problem and a solution. The problem is in the story, but the solution is not.
Here is what I want you to do while working with a partner
- Read the story.
- Summarize the key points of the story in negotiation terms.
- Answer the questions at the end of the story.
Negotiation Activity #2 (50)
The Texas Oil Role Play Game.
- introduce it (5)
- read role card (10)
- complete negotiation planning worksheet in small groups (10)
- do it (15)
- debrief it (10)
- Here are some debrief questions for the Texas Oil Role Play negotiation game.
Reflective Writing (15)
- make notes about key vocabulary you learned
- comment on the experience
Here is a blog post by Deepak Malhotra about how to manage concessions during a negotiation.
Another good blog post about making concessions. 10 Powerful Concession Strategies Of Successful/Effective.
Here is a blog post which deal in more detail about positions and interests.
Another short summary with examples about negotiating positions and interests.