It’s week 10 of the English conversation class. Time to get buckle down, look up and carry on.
- conversation questions
- pair work speaking video summary
- attendance (5)
- book report (pick a book this week)
Discussion Questions (20)
- What apps do you have that help you learn a language?
- How do you unlock your smartphone: swipe pattern, number combination, or bio-metric?
- How often do you listen to English podcasts or audio books on your phone or computer?
- Do you read ebooks on your phone? Got any recommendations?
- Do you have membership app with bar code or QR code?
- What lessons, if any, did you take away from last week’s card game?
- Have you ever taken an online class? Why or why not?
- What might happen if … ?
- How full is your glass?
- How would you design …….?
- If you could be invisible for a day, what would you do?
- When was a time that you felt lucky?
“We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit.”
- Discuss the argument and implications.
- Does this apply in your situation?
- What aspect of excellence of you striving for?
Hour 2 -3
Book Report #2 (5)
- collect book title for book report #2
Homework for Next Week (10)
We will do another read and summarize activity. Before the midterm exam, you read a story with a message.
This reading and speaking activity is similar but the content, and purpose, are different.
- Read and listen to a short story.
- Summarize the story.
- The key point is to understand and describe the connections between major events in the story. Describe the linked actions that happened in order for the invention to be made. Also describe how the invention lead to big changes.
Here are the 4 stories. You will get one of the stories.
Complete Vocabulary Worksheet (15)
Here are some anagram puzzles. An anagram is a kind of puzzle. Make a new word from an existing word. Move the letters around, but don’t add or delete any letters.
- seat – teas
Pair Work Video Summary (30)
Here is a pair work activity that asks students to remember and retell a story. The key point is to:
- include the important details and leave out the unimportant stuff
- be compelling – make the story interesting
- include character, plot and setting
- is there a message?
We will watch 2 videos.
- You watch one video and summarize it for your partner.
- You partner will listen and ask questions to clarify.
- Then we will watch it with everybody.
- Did you explain it well?
Then your partner will watch a video and we will repeat the process.
Textbook sound files
- Touchstone online listening files
Page 103 #3 (10)
- Asking for favors. Who is asking?
Page 105 #2 (10)
- Listen to a story about Cirque du Soleil. Answer the questions.
Page 106 (10)
- Pair work questions about movies #1 and #3