It’s week 5 of the semester and time to submit your book report. Papers please.
New Information (5)
- Please continue to practice listening with the online listening lessons
- Next week you will have a quiz.
- Remember book reports: no late papers and no reports sent through the email.
My office hours have changed. The new times are as follows:
- Tuesday 1-2
- Thursday 1-4
About Quiz #1
- It’s 10% of your final score.
- It’s mostly vocabulary.
- It’s going to be next week Wednesday/Thursday.
- It’s going to be about 30 minutes.
Quiz Review (40)
The quiz will be a written test. I will plan on 30 minutes but some people will probably finish faster than that.
The quiz will have 5 parts. These are the practice questions. The quiz will have some of these questions, not all of them.
If you want to print these questions, get the MS Word file.
Part 1 Word Lists
Read the question and write a list of answers. Spelling is important.
- pairs of homophones
- verbs with two syllables
- words with the prefix im
- pairs of synonyms
- words with a silent b
- words that rhyme with glove
- vegetables with double consonants in the spelling
- words that rhyme with aisle
- kinds of nuts
Part 2 Short Definitions
Read the question and write short answer. Spelling is important.
What’s the difference between:
- a semester and a syllabus?
- convenient and comfortable?
- soup and porridge?
- a verb and a phrasal verb?
Part 3 Vocabulary List
Know the 40 words on the vocabulary worksheet from Week 2 (the last page).
You might be asked to write a short definition for a few of these words. For example:
- cheese: a salty food made from milk
- bean sprout: a long, thin, white vegetable with a yellow head
Part 4 From the Textbook
- Write five sentences to hedge an idea. Check page 70 in the textbook.
- Write a one sentence answer with a relative clause to describe a person, place or thing from a list of words. Check page 67 in the book. Here are some sample questions:
- library, pharmacy, temple
- squash porridge, pork belly, grilled clams
- teacher, nurse, volunteer
Part 5 Word Scramble
You will see a list of words. The letters have been mixed up. Move the letters and make a word. Use all the letters. Do not add any new letters.
Text Book, Page 73 #2 (15)
- Read first part and add a few more ideas.
- Listen 2 times.
Page 73 #3 – Quick Conversation both and neither (5)
- answer 5 questions with partner (not writing)
- try to use BOTH OF US and NEITHER OF US in your answers
Page 74 review (10)
- complete 1, 2 and 3 to review phrasal verbs
Pair Work Fluency Drill (15)
This speaking activity helps build fluency by forcing you to remember lots of words in a short period of time.
Here is the speaking worksheet for this activity.
- get 2-3 partners.
- get a stop watch ready on your phone
- ask a question and count the number of correct answers in 60 seconds
- keep score and find a winner
Make a Story (20)
This is a jigsaw story making activity that will help you create good sentences and build your memory.
- work with a partner and make a story with your pictures
- each person should write the story
- practice telling your story with your partner
- make a new group
- each person should have a different story
- tell your story and try not to read it
- make the story from memory
- the other people in the group must ask a total of 5 W-H questions
Here are the pictures.
Listen, Remember and Think (25)
Listen to this old children’s story. Can you remember the details?
Part 1 (5)
Do a quick review of vocabulary.
Part 2 (5)
Listen to the story and answer T-F questions.
Part 4 (15)
Answer discussion questions in small groups.
Worksheet about Books (15)
Here are some puzzles and word games related to the topic of books. Get the puzzle worksheet here.