It’s week 7 of the ESL speaking class. Time to get ready for the midterm exam.
Like animals? Check out these animal transformations by artist Johannes Stoller.
ESL Conversation Class Hour 1
Pair Work Speaking (15)
Talk with a partner. Answer these questions
- Did you ever borrow something and forget to return it?
- When are you in a bad mood?
- Who is a person you’d like spend more time with?
- Is there a place you’d like to visit more often?
- Do you ever worry about anything?
- Do you ever buy gifts for friends or family members?
- What can’t you say no to?
Return Quiz #1 (10)
- hardback papers to students
- review answers
Vocabulary Worksheet (15)
- words worksheet with an F sound and PH spelling.
Midterm Exam (50)
- check the syllabus
- speaking test 20% of final score
- check your ability to speak fluently and accurately
- check your understanding of vocabulary
- about 5-6 minutes per person
Make a schedule (5)
- Sign up for a test time.
Let’s spend about 40 minutes reviewing test questions and so that you have time to practice the answers. This is a chance to ask me questions if you don’t understand something.
Question 1 (1-2 minutes)
The purpose of this question is to check your ability to speak fluently and intelligently.
- talk about the book you read (book report #1)
- speak for 60 seconds – minus points if time is short
- talk about character, plot and setting
- did you like the book – why or why not?
- I will ask follow up questions
Question 2 (1 minute)
The purpose of this question is to see if you learned important words in this class.
- I say 4-7 words or phrases
- you give a FAST definition
- the words will be random
- words come from the quiz list
Question 3 (1 minute)
- Summarize the short story you read
- You speak for 30 seconds about story – minus points if less than 30 seconds
- I will ask you follow up questions about the story
Question 4 (1-2 minutes)
- speak fluently about one topic – that you choose
- use long, full sentences with lots of details
- expect follow up questions
Here are two topics with suggested questions to answer. You choose the topic that you like.
1 Topic: Sports
Are you good at sports?
- What sports do you play?
- What is the most popular sport in your country?
- What are the best ways to keep fit?
- Do you think most people consider exercise a chore or do they find it fun?
- What is the most popular form of exercise in your country?
2 Topic: Travel
Do you like traveling?
- Do you like travel alone or with your friends?
- Have you traveled to other places? Where are they?
- What do you usually do when you first arrive in a new place?
- What are the benefits of traveling?
- How can you make sure you get the most from your travels?
Question 5 (1 minute)
You will get one or two of the questions from the list below. Make an interesting answer with long sentences and lots of details. Expect follow up questions.
- What do you like eating for lunch?
- What is your home town like?
- Does your family like junk food?
- What is your best friend like?
- Would you like to live in England?
- Did you like going to high school?
- What are you like in the morning?
- Did you like green vegetables when you were a kid?
- What were you like as a child?
Pair Work Video Discussion (20)
Work with a partner. One person turns and around and does not watch the video. The other partner watches the video.
Next, the partner summaries the video setting, characters and plot.
Hors piste – Trailer from École des Nouvelles Images on Vimeo.
PLAY-OFF from MegaComputeur on Vimeo.
This puzzle worksheet is slightly more advanced. it has many brain puzzles. Finding the answer is sometimes difficult but explaining the answer, that is a little harder.