It’s week 7 of the ESL speaking class. Time to get ready for the midterm exam.
Like animals? Check out these animal transformations by artist Johannes Stoller.
ESL Conversation Class Hour 1
Pair Work Speaking (15)
Talk with a partner. Answer these questions
- Did you ever borrow something and forget to return it?
- When are you in a bad mood?
- Who is a person you’d like spend more time with?
- Is there a place you’d like to visit more often?
- Do you ever worry about anything?
- Do you ever buy gifts for friends or family members?
- What can’t you say no to?
Return Quiz #1 (10)
- hardback papers to students
- review answers
Vocabulary Worksheet (15)
- words worksheet with an F sound and PH spelling.
Midterm Exam (50)
- check the syllabus
- speaking test 20% of final score
- check your ability to speak fluently and accurately
- check your understanding of vocabulary
- about 5-6 minutes per person
Make a schedule (5)
- Sign up for a test time.
Let’s spend about 40 minutes reviewing test questions and so that you have time to practice the answers. This is a chance to ask me questions if you don’t understand something.
Question 1 (1-2 minutes)
The purpose of this question is to check your ability to speak fluently and intelligently.
- talk about the book you read (book report #1)
- speak for 60 seconds – minus points if time is short
- talk about character, plot and setting
- did you like the book – why or why not?
- I will ask follow up questions
Question 2 (1 minute)
The purpose of this question is to see if you learned important words in this class.
- I say 4-7 words or phrases
- you give a FAST definition
- the words will be random
- words come from the quiz list
Question 3 (1 minute)
- Summarize the short story you read
- You speak for 30 seconds about story – minus points if less than 30 seconds
- I will ask you follow up questions about the story
Question 4 (1-2 minutes)
- speak fluently about one topic – that you choose
- use long, full sentences with lots of details
- expect follow up questions
Here are two topics with suggested questions to answer. You choose the topic that you like.
1 Topic: Sports
Are you good at sports?
- What sports do you play?
- What is the most popular sport in your country?
- What are the best ways to keep fit?
- Do you think most people consider exercise a chore or do they find it fun?
- What is the most popular form of exercise in your country?
2 Topic: Travel
Do you like traveling?
- Do you like travel alone or with your friends?
- Have you traveled to other places? Where are they?
- What do you usually do when you first arrive in a new place?
- What are the benefits of traveling?
- How can you make sure you get the most from your travels?
Question 5 (1 minute)
You will get one or two of the questions from the list below. Make an interesting answer with long sentences and lots of details. Expect follow up questions.
- What do you like eating for lunch?
- What is your home town like?
- Does your family like junk food?
- What is your best friend like?
- Would you like to live in England?
- Did you like going to high school?
- What are you like in the morning?
- Did you like green vegetables when you were a kid?
- What were you like as a child?
Pair Work Video Discussion (20)
Work with a partner. One person turns and around and does not watch the video. The other partner watches the video.
Next, the partner summaries the video setting, characters and plot.
This puzzle worksheet is slightly more advanced. it has many brain puzzles. Finding the answer is sometimes difficult but explaining the answer, that is a little harder.