Welcome to the third ESL business class.
Basic Plan for today’s class
- Warm up with vocabulary
- Review BE verb
- Midterm exam schedule
- Midterm exam questions and practice
Warm Up – Quick Thinking (10)
Ask your partner to say these things.
Can you say …
- Six vegetables.
- Three ways to cook an egg.
- Three kinds of dessert.
- Two things in a grocery store sold in a carton.
- Four kinds of seafood.
- Seven side dishes in a Korean meal.
Can you say …
- Three things that make food taste sweet.
- Four kinds of grains.
- Three salty foods.
- Six kinds of fruit.
- Six ice cream flavors.
- Four countries famous for wine.
Simple present tense BE verb (5)
- I am, He is, She is, it is, You are , they are, We are
Make a sentence with each of these. For example
- I am a buyer.
- He is tall.
- She is kind.
- It is a large company.
- You are beside me.
- We are busy.
- They are at school.
Short conversations (20)
- work with a partner
- look at the pictures
- ask partner questions
- partner answers
Midterm Exam Prep
This is a speaking test. The exam has 6 parts. It should take each person about 5-7 minutes.
- Speaking test.
- Let’s make a schedule.
- The exam will be Saturday, October 27.
- What time do we start?
Part 1 Business Introduction (20)
Speak for 30 seconds. Introduce yourself. You can talk about:
- Your name (first name and last name)
- Where you work?
- What does the company make or sell?
- Your job title
- What you do in a typical day at work?
Part 2 Describe Things (10)
Look at a picture and describe what you see. Use sentences that start with:
- There is
- There are
Here are some practice questions. The test questions will be similar.
Part 3 How often (15)
You will get a few questions with How often do you …? You will get some follow up questions.
You should know things like
- once a week
- once a month
- once a year
- three times a week
- three times a year
Say a long answer for each question.
- How often do you drink coffee?
- I drink coffee two times a day.
- How often do you go shopping?
- How often do you cook food?
- How often do you go to work?
- How often do you work late?
- How often do you see a movie?
- How often do you go to a coffee shop?
Part 4 General Questions (15)
Make a long answer for each question. You will get a follow up question as well.
- What time is it?
- What is the date?
- What day is it today? What day is tomorrow? What day was yesterday?
- What is the biggest city in Korea?
- What is the largest island in Korea?
- What is the nicest beach in Korea?
- What is the tallest mountain in Korea?
Part 5 Past tense (15)
You get a verb. Then you make a question and answer in the past tense.
- What did you eat for yesterday?
- I ate a sandwich yesterday.
You should know these verbs.
- eat – ate
- send – sent
- leave – left
- go – went
- meet – met
- make – made
- write – wrote
- see – saw
- buy – bought
- drink – drank
Here is the wolf again.