FINAL EXAM REVIEW
Part 1: What did we do?
In our class, we have practiced six main kinds of writing:
- Clear, organized paragraphs
- A main idea with a thesis sentence and supporting sentences
- Descriptions of a place with details that talk about the senses
- Paragraphs that compare and contrast two things
- Email structure and style
We also practiced specific kinds of sentences, grammar points and writing exercises, such as:
- During and which (During the summer vacation I went to Spain.)
- Passive sentences (The fish was eaten by a cat.)
- Relative clauses (I know the man who ate the sandwich.)
- Appositives (John, my three year-old brother, broke my favorite toy.)
- Parallel structure (I like hiking, cooking and reading.)
- Choppy and run on sentences
- So and because
- Subject verb agreement
Part 2: The Final Exam
The final exam will be a one hour test. There will be three questions.
You will read an email asking you to compare and contrast two things and give a recommendation. Write an email message and answer the questions. You will have a data sheet to help you write the answer. Your answer will be written (on paper) as a business email.
This question will test your ability to compare and contrast two things in an organized answer plus show that you know the basic parts of a professional email. This question is similar to the computer printer exercise we did in class.
I have attached data for two questions (Smartphone and hybrid car). Your exam will have one of these questions.
You will read a short passage and then write a short summary (maybe two to three sentences). The purpose of this question is to test your ability to find and write about the main idea and important facts.
This question tests your ability to write one or two clear, organized paragraphs (with a thesis and supporting sentences) and define the key concept in each question.
Here are two possible questions. I will give you one of these in the exam.
- Nowadays, food has become easier to prepare. Has this change improved the way people live? Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.
- In general, people are living longer now than in the past. Discuss the causes of this change. Use specific reasons and details.
Part 3. Assessment
You have most of the questions for the final exam. That means you have some time to prepare good, well written answers. That means I will expect a high standard of writing. That means your test will be graded on grammar and spelling as well as the quality of your ideas, answers and paragraphs.
Please note, you cannot bring (or use) any paper, dictionaries or Smartphones to the exam.
Part 4. Got Questions?
Feel free to email me if you have any questions. I will be in my office on Tuesday June 11 from 12 to 2 if you have any questions about the exam.
Please note, I will not proofread any answers. I will provide assistance to help you understand the questions and what is required for a good answer.