Topic: Political Executive and Leadership
- Chapter 13 presentation (Monday)
- Quiz #2 (Thursday)
- Week 14: Return quizzes and review
- Week 15: Reading week (no class)
- Week 16: Final exam
IN CLASS MATERIAL (pdf file)
- Cabinet secretary
- House of Representatives
- Head of state
- House of Commons
COMPREHENSION AND DISCUSSION QUESTIONS
- Name and describe the three main branches of government.
- Name the two houses of the US congress. Name two houses of the UK parliament.
- Describe two ways in which the US Supreme Court had a big impact on society.
- In the US, what does “the administration” refer to?
- Name and describe the three layers of advisors to the US president.
- Describe five functions of executive leaders.
- Describe five executive differences between US presidential and parliamentary systems.
- This website has information about the US House of Representatives.
- This website has information about t the US court system.
- More information about President Obama’s cabinet.
- A short but useful story about Obama Care here and here.
- Useful information about UK politics and government.
- a podcast and story about the US Supreme Court decision that gave corporations rights to spend money during an election.
US Supreme Court decisions
- 2015 confirms same sex marriage is a right.
- 2010 decides companies are like people in terms of election spending
- 1973 confirms women’s right to an abortion in Roe v Wade
- 1967 banned laws that prohibited interracial marriage
- 1954 banned racial segregation in public schools