Welcome to the Business English Class. It’s time to study for the midterm exam.
Business English Speaking
Here is the plan for today’s 3 hour class.
- warm up
- review last class (BE verb)
- make an exam speaking schedule
Warm Up (10)
Ask your partner to say these things.
- Six vegetables.
- Three ways to cook an egg.
- Three kinds of coffee drinks.
- Three kinds of dessert.
- Two things in a grocery store sold in a carton.
- Four kinds of seafood.
- Three birds that people eat.
- Seven side dishes in a Korean meal.
- Three things that make food taste sweet.
- Four kinds of grains.
- Three kinds of cheese.
- Three things in a grocery store sold in a tube.
- Three salty foods.
- Six kinds of fruit.
- Six ice cream flavors.
- Four countries famous for wine.
Simple present tense BE verb (5)
- I am, He is, She is, it is, You are , they are, We are
Make a sentence with each of these. For example
- I am a buyer.
- He is tall.
- She is kind.
- It is a large company.
- You are beside me.
- We are busy.
- They are at school.
Short conversations (20)
- work with a partner
- look at the pictures
- ask partner questions
- partner answers
Midterm Exam Prep
This is a speaking test. The exam has 6 parts. It should take each person about 5-7 minutes.
- Let’s make a speaking schedule. The exam will be October 14
Part 1 Business Introduction (15)
Speak for 30 seconds. Introduce yourself. You can talk about:
- Your name (first name and last name)
- Where you work what the company makes or sells
- Job title
- What you do in a typical day at work.
Part 2 Describe Things (10)
Look at a picture and describe what you see. Use sentences that start with:
- There is
- There are
Here are some practice questions. The test questions will be a little different.
Part 3 Vocabulary (15)
You will get 2 or 3 of these words. Listen to the word and say a definition.
For example: cafeteria
- It’s a place to eat in a company or school.
- File cabinet
- Double room
- Front desk
Part 4 How often (15)
You will get a few questions with How often do you …? You will get some follow up questions.
Say a long answer for each question.
- How often do you drink coffee?
- I drink coffee every day.
- How often do you go shopping?
- How often do you cook food?
- How often do you go to work?
- How often do you work late?
- How often do you see a movie?
- How often do you go to a coffee shop?
Part 5 General Questions (15)
Make long answer for each question. You will get a follow up question as well.
- What time is it?
- What is the date?
- What day is it today? What day is tomorrow? What day was yesterday?
- What is the biggest city in Korea?
- What is the largest island in Korea?
- What is the nicest beach in Korea?
- What is the tallest mountain in Korea?
Part 6 Past tense (15)
You get a verb. Then you make a question and answer in the past tense.
- What did you eat for yesterday?
- I ate a sandwich yesterday.
You should know these verbs.
- eat – ate
- send – sent
- leave – left
- go – went
- meet – met
- make – made
- write – wrote
- see – saw
- buy – bought
- drink – drank