It’s week 6 of the English writing class. Time to have a quiz.
What did we do last week?
- Nothing. There was a long holiday.
This Week’s Plan
- one class (Tuesday) will have 3 hours of classes
- one class (Monday) will have just 1 hour
- bother classes will have a quiz on Thursday/Friday
Tuesday Class (2 hours)
- Tiny Story
Week 6 Oct 9-13
- Monday Oct 9 is a holiday, so no class
- quiz #1 on Thursday/Friday
- finish last draft of stories #1 and #2
- better verbs, Tiny Story video and writing assignment (Tuesday only)
Week 7 Oct 16-20
- complete rewrite of stories #3 (man and boat) and #4 (Howl summary and analysis)
- mid term exam review – review test questions in class
- return quiz #1
- make test time table (if possible Monday/Tuesday)
Week 8 Oct 23-27
- mid term exam, written test
- no classes this week
Tiny Story (45)
This is a pair work writing exercise. It is challenging because you have to describe the action of a ball and line as they try to illustrate a concept. This exercise asks you to expand and improve your understanding of verbs.
- Get the writing exercise and video here.
- Watch the video a couple of times.
- Work with a partner to write really accurate sentences.
- Review sentences on the board.
Writing Logic Puzzle Answers (20)
Read the two logic puzzles below. Work with a partner. Develop the answer. Write the answer. Be sure to include all of the important thinking steps in your answers.
Logic Puzzle 1
Upstairs, there is a room with one light, one door and one chair. Downstairs, there are three light switches – A, B and C. One switch is connected to the light in the upstairs room.
How can you find out which switch is connected to the upstairs light?
You can enter the upstairs room one time. There are no windows and it is impossible to see inside the room unless you open the door. Turn the switches on and off as much as you like.
Logic Puzzle 2
There is a monkey at the bottom of a well. The well is 30 meters deep. Each morning, the monkey climbs up three meters. Every evening, the monkey slides down two meters.
There is no water in the well and there are no tools. How long will it take the monkey to get out of the well?
- attendance (5)
- feedback and rewriting (20)
- quiz #1 (20)