ESL Conversation Lessons
It’s week 7 for the English conversation class. Time to prepare for an ESL speaking exam.
- return quiz #1 and review answers
- review midterm exam questions
- make schedule for exam times
- hand in book report #1 (5% of final score)
- check syllabus and grading
What did we do last week?
- had a quiz
- did a few pages from the textbook
Midterm Exam (20)
- speaking test 25% of final score
- check your ability to speak fluently and accurately
- check your understanding of vocabulary
- about 5-6 minutes per person
Question 1 (1-2 minutes)
- speak fluently about the book you read
- summarize book in 45 to 60 seconds; talk about character, plot and setting
- I will ask follow up questions
Question 2 (1 minute)
- vocabulary comprehension
- I say 4-7 words or phrases
- you give a FAST definition
- the words will be random
- words come from the quiz list
- the strange verbs and two slide shows on this page
- these words: circle of friends, phrasal verb, a hedge (to hedge), go through a lot together, convenient, college (US vs Canada meaning), hot right now, I met him through a friend, clean freak
Question 3 (1 minute)
- summarize the short story you read
- empty pot, blind people, stone cutter, finger pointing to the moon
- You speak for 20 to 30 seconds about story and message
- I will ask you follow up questions about the story or its meaning
Question 4 (1-2 minutes)
- speak fluently about one RANDOM topic
- use long, full sentences with lots of details
- expect follow up questions
Here are two different topics with suggested questions to answer. You will get one of these topics during the test(random).
1 Topic: Sports
Are you good at sports?
- What sports do you play?
- What is the most popular sport in your country?
- What are the best ways to keep fit?
- Do you think most people consider exercise a chore or do they find it fun?
- What is the most popular form of exercise in your country?
2 Topic: Travel
Do you like traveling?
- Do you like travel alone or with your friends?
- Have you traveled to other places? Where are they?
- What do you usually do when you first arrive in a new place?
- What are the benefits of traveling?
- How can you make sure you get the most from your travels?
Question 5 (1 minute)
You will get one or two of the questions from the list below. Make an interesting answer with long sentences and lots of details. Expect a few follow up questions.
- What do you like eating for lunch?
- What is your home town like?
- Does your family like junk food?
- What is your best friend like?
- Would you like to live in England?
- Did you like going to high school?
- What are you like in the morning?
- Did you like green vegetables when you were a kid?
- What were you like as a child?
ESL Conversation Activities
Attendance and review last week. (5)
Pair work activity (15)
- easy conversation activity
- Agree of disagree?
Return Quiz (10)
Exam Speaking Schedule (5)
- sign up sheet
Review quiz questions (10)
- pair work
Hour 2 and 3
Review exam questions (30)
Jeopardy game (30)
Trivia game (30)