Welcome to the second week of our class English conversation class.
- Touchstone online listening files
ESL Conversation Activities
1 Vocabulary Warmer (15)
Let’s do a vocabulary review activity. Can you remember the words we learned and practiced last week? Let’s check with a hint game. You and your partner have a list of words. The lists are different. One partner gives a hint. The other partner listens and tries to guess the word on your paper. You may have to give more than one hint.
Try to make the hints a little challenging.
When complete, your partner writes the word on his/her list. Then change roles. Your partner gives a hint and you guess the words.
2 Quick Review of Last Week (5)
- looked at the syllabus
- talked about 4 things to bring to class
- learned pronunciation of final S sounds (sound and sort word game)
- practiced meeting people (grid game with 5 questions)
- practiced critical thinking with Odd One Out word game
- reviewed adjective and adverbs to describe people and things
- short Q&A speaking activity about personalities (e.g. blood type and horoscope)
- finished page 2 in textbook
3 This Week (1)
- start book report project
- textbook to build vocabulary
- fluency drill (review easy verbs in past tense)
- shadowing activity to improve listening skills
4 Book Report Description (10)
This semester you will read 2 books. This will be a big part of your learning experience and your final grade. This assignment will require you to do some homework each week.
I strongly suggest you start this week.
Or try this display.
5 Textbook, page 3 2A (10)
- quick review of pink box – rules for adjectives and adverbs
- notice irregular verbs
- manner = how something is done
- fill in blanks
- check answers with class
6 Fluency and Accuracy (1)
These two words represent your basic language learning goals.
- Fluency means faster.
- Accuracy means correct. That can be grammatically right or it can mean you use the right word for situation.
7 Fluency Drill (10)
Look at the chart of verbs. We will do the top line this week.
- Ask your partner a past tense question with the top line verbs.
- Partner answers. Listen carefully and ask 2 more follow up questions.
- Go on to the next question.
- Change roles.
- You have 5 minutes to finish the task.
- When you finish, change partners and repeat.
- Total time 10 minutes.
- learn by heart the 20 words from vocabulary review activity
- get your reading book
- start reading
- bring 4 things to class
1 Textbook, page 4 B1-A (20)
In this activity, we practice reading and listening.
Step 1 Read
- students read 4 short stories
- students circle any words they don’t know
- check words in dictionary
- check answers with class
Step 2 Read While Listening (RWL)
- students listen to sound file one time and read at the same time
Step 3 Pair Work Shadowing
- one student reads text from one text box
- partner shadows text (repeats as quickly as possible in a whisper tone)
- teacher will provide an example in class
2 Textbook, page 4 B1-B C D (5)
- quick review at bottom of page
- read questions and write in answers
3 Textbook, page 5 2-A (15)
Quick grammar point: adverbs before adjectives
- read examples in pink box
- students check vocabulary in 2-A; use dictionary if necessary
- with partner, make questions using 2-B sentence models
Bonus Discussion Questions
What do these words and phrases mean?
- down to earth
1 Review Verb tenses (30)
Here is a good chance to quickly review 6 important verb tenses.
- review slides and examples
- students complete Drill 1
- check a few sentences on the board
- review sample answers on slide