Learn English Writing, Week 14
Here is the plan for this week.
- Make schedule for final exam
- Review syllabus
- Review final exam questions
- Review vocabulary
- Return Before and After writing
- Hand in timed repeated writing fluency score sheets
Final Exam Questions
The final exam will 50 minutes. Time is short so you need to practice before the test.
The exam will have three parts.
- Editing – read one paragraph, find and fix the mistakes.
- You will write an email message to customer who needs help choosing between the products (similar to the smart phone exercise, but different product). This question tests your ability to write an email with the proper layout and use good logic to make an argument. Download the question and detailed information.
- You will look at a picture prompt and write three sentences: a prepositional phrase, an appositive and a complex sentence.
End of Semester Activities
Section 1. Parts of Speech
Writing students should know the basic eight parts of speech. In English grammar, all words can fit into eight categories. This list of words is called the eight parts of speech. The words are grouped according to how they are used in English, not their meanings. Thus, some words can be used as nouns and verbs (e.g. walk, book or cook).
Part A. Read the text below.
A New Form of Yoga
Here is a test. Do you watch TV at night because you are exhausted after school or work? Do you avoid going out because you do not have enough energy? If yes, perhaps you should try a new form of yoga.
Dynamic yoga is simple to do and produces benefits instantly. Normally known for its relaxation effect, dynamic yoga can boost your energy after 10 minutes of mild exercise and controlled breathing. The deep stretches and graceful movements help to unblock energy, improve muscle strength and increase stamina. According to the experts, regular practice reduces stress and creates a feeling of inner peace. Try it tonight. You just might feel better.
Part B. Write three examples for each part of speech using words from the yoga story.
- Download the document, It contains several review questions that help students prepare for the exam.
The image in this post comes from Luis Alejandro Bernal Romero and its use complies with the owner’s creative commons licensing terms.