It’s week 13 of the ESL writing class. Time to have a quiz.
ESL Writing Hour 1
Free writing (10)
Take 10 minutes and just write. Write about anything. Write about the picture at the top of this post.
Before and After (30)
Way back in the first week of the semester, started a long writing activity called Before and After.
You write a short story and I kept it for the whole semester. now it’s time for part 2 of that activity.
- Watch the video.
- Write a summary.
- Talk about characters, plot, setting, message (what does the story try to teach us)
Nuit Blanche from Arev Manoukian on Vimeo.
ESL Writing Hour 2
Here is a short exercise to help you see and fix errors. The proofreading worksheet has 4 short paragraphs and the answers on page 2 so you can self-check your work.
- Read the passage.
- Find the mistakes.
- Rewrite the passage with no errors.
- Self-check your answers.
Sentence Combining (15)
Sometimes students write too many words. For example, they repeat the same word 2 or 3 times. One way to fix that problem is sentence combining. Joining two sentences together to make one long one. When you join sentences, you have to think carefully about the words. When you think carefully, you write carefully.
Here this writing activity gives you a chance to practice sentence combing.
- The party ended. We went to the beach to watch the sunset.
- After the party ended, we went to the beach to watch the sunset.
How do you join sentences?
Use joining words. Here are 10 examples.
- After finishing the puzzle, I walked to the public bath.
- Although she was running behind schedule, Jack talked to the students.
- Because of the bus accident, we were late for work.
- Before you go outside, please put on a coat.
- Even though Julie is a carnivore, she suggested we go to a vegetarian restaurant.
- If you can’t see the words on the screen, move to the front of the class.
- Since breakfast, I’ve been feeling tired.
- Until I was five, I thought Santa Claus was real.
- When the doctor walked into the classroom, the students closed their smartphones.
- While the woman shopped for blankets, her husband sat on a bench.
Here are the writing questions. The suggested answers are on the second page.
Short Story Writing (20)
This is a short writing activity with a specific aim: describe things in detail and good style.
ESL Writing Hour 3
Let’s have a quiz.