It’s week 9 of the adult English course. Time for some creative thinking.
ESL Speaking Hour 1
Pair Work Discussion (15)
- An apple costs 40 cents, a persimmon costs 60 cents, and a pomegranate 80 cents. How much does a pear cost?
- Tracy’s mother had 4 children. The first child was named April, the second was named May, the third June. What was the 4th child called?
- How do you know if the light inside the fridge is on or off?
- How many tennis balls can fit inside this classroom?
- If you could invent a new subject that would be taught to all children in school, what would the subject be? Why do you think children need to learn about your subject?
- Are you more like a river, a lake, an ocean, or a waterfall? Why?
Thinking Puzzles (15)
Try some rebus puzzles. Can you guess the answers to the rebus puzzle?
Here is an example:
Read and Retell (20)
We did this exercise two times before. One for inventions and once for koan, or stories with a teaching point.
Let’s do it one more time.
These ESL reading stories are biographies. They are stories about people.
The format is the same this week.
- Read a short story.
- Summarize the story.
- Does the life story teach us something?
Word Ladder (10)
Here is another word puzzle worksheet. Start with a word. Move down step on the ladder and change one letter to make a new word. When you finish, you should change one letter to make the last word.
ESL Conversation Hour 2
Part 1. Mini Lecture (5)
- Positions versus interests.
Part 2. Reading Exercise – Apply your knowledge (10)
You are going to read a short story that involves a problem and a solution. The problem is in the story, but the solution is not.
Here is what I want you to do while working with a partner
- Read the story.
- Summarize the key points of the story in negotiation terms.
- Answer the questions at the end of the story.
Part 3. Negotiation Activity (30)
The Texas Oil Role Play Game.
- introduce it (5)
- read role card (10)
- negotiate (10)
- debrief it (5)
- Here are some debrief questions for the Texas Oil Role Play negotiation game.